
The back stair way had some wall repairs that needed finishing so that got drywall patched and sanded. The stair treads were sanded to get all the old paint drips from previous sloppy painters.
That horrible blue "Neptune suite" was a huge mess! First all the wall paper was stripped (Thanks to Karl Loewnstien's steamer!) There was a supper sagging lathe and plaster wall that was cut out and replaced with drywall.
Then everything was patched, sanded, patched, sanded, and well, sanded again! 
I still need to clean it all up, put up some corner trim, and prime the shit out of it. Then I am going to see where all the little spots show up that still need a tad more fixin' and sandin', then prime it all again before painting it and calling the room DONE! I may just decided to hang some textured paintable wall paper. I hate to put up more paper in this house... I may go with some of that textured paint to hide the little (and big) flaws in the walls.
Check out the new shed!
After building it in the yard for two days we moved it to the side of the house. It took some fence moving and maneuvering, but we got it in there nice and snug. It is so very nice to NOT carry the lawn mower up and down to the basement! And we can put our gardening tools in there, the bikes, the wagon! I wish we had a garage, but this solves a lot of yard storage issues. And it was only about $220 instead of thousands.
Here are all the builders from left to right, top to bottom: My mom, me, Ron, Ella, Ben.
Oh, and my mother spent a ton of time and energy weeding the back yard and working in the garden. She split some hastas, moved some flowers and strawberries, weeded the play area... and weeding between the paving stones on the patio. Phew!
The other thing we did this weekend was eat a lot of food. I guess I just did not realize how much is consumed over five days by four grown men, two women and a wee little angel. I think all my emergency supplies are gone. Those guys, Brother and Nephew, were like mice rummaging through the pantry! But these mice new how to use a can opener! I think my replacement grocery costs will be MUCH LESS than hiring a contractor, so I wont bitch too terribly much about that. And we probably needed to use it and re-stock soon anyway.
Oh, the other super great thing about this weekend is that my sister sent up a bed frame and two dressers! And they all match! Seems she just did not want them any more. They are only 8(?) years old and in pretty good shape. And I had two dressers on my wish list! Ella's is falling apart and mine is on it's last leg... That saves me a trip to the goodwill! Ron's little buddy Justin said he will give us a mattress, too! I love free furniture. I love free labor. I love my family and friends for all their hard work and generosity. Thanks to everyone!

6 comments:
That was fun!
'cept today my arm is sore from vacuuming the walls and ceiling! I was wiping off the table and said "youch"! I need to work out or something.
Looks like fun! I wish I could have been there. The picture of your workers in the shed was a laugh out loud moment- thanks, I needed that. Everyone's invited to come to my house on Labor Day weekend to paint the outside of my house.
Thanks for feeding my little mouse. I enjoyed my weekend off-it was worth the furniture. Let me know if you ever need Ben to come up and spend a week with you. I'm sure there is a flight between CR and Oshkosh I can put him on. In addition to building sheds and eating your canned goods, he also can do dishes, vac the floor and play with Ron and Ella (depending on who you need entertained the most). I'll send his pizza pizazz with him so all he needs is an electrical outlet and a frozen pizza.
Well, General, I can't make it there for Labor Day because I think we are going to Minnesota. And Jo, you can send him up here for a week! He would have to fly into Appleton, a 20 minute drive so very easy, and give him some pocket money! Did I mention that he mowed the lawn for me? What a good kid.
That looks great! Congrats on the amazong amount of progress you guys have made on your house. I am looking forward to seeing it in person.
The neptune suite....goodbye!
I think the textured paint would looks great in that room. There are many nice options now, suede, sand and plaster. A friend used the Ralph Lauren suede finish and it looked quite nice.
Shed vs. garage. We are in the same boat. Currently getting bids. Prolly not going to happen til next year...we shall see.
Post a Comment